Thursday, November 4, 2010

Oh the changes!

I still vaguely remember a time in my life when Ulcerative Colitis wasn’t a disease that made my head turn, when Crohn’s Disease wasn’t a topic I could tell you almost everything about, and when IBD wasn’t a common topic in my house. It wasn’t yesterday, and it wasn’t last year. Actually, some days, it feels like there was never such a time in my life. Some days it feels like I’ve had Crohn’s Disease since the day I was born. I don’t really remember living without an ostomy either. They’ve both just become…me!

Although I have noticed some things have changed. I used to go to public bathrooms and just think, “gross, this bathroom is dirty” or “wow, this bathroom is kind of clean”. However lately I’ve noticed myself thinking “I wouldn’t want to spend long in here” or “This bathroom wouldn’t be TOO bad to spend any length of time in”. I also get joys in clothes that don’t show off the circular print of my ostomy, before it was the cool clothes, now it’s the “hiding” clothes.

I was recently looking at dresses to order for my sisters wedding, and my dad picked out a dress, which would have looked nice without the ostomy, but mom and I both looked at each other and said nope. The way that my mom and I would pick out a dress was so differently from how my dad would. The way your life changes because of these disease is uncontrollable, but I think the way in which you handle and overcome the changes is what make your disease truly yours. I’ve learned how to dress the way I want, but yet still incorporate the things I need in my clothing. I know it sounds weird, but it’s just how I’ve learned to live with having an ostomy and not let it bother me.

“I have Crohn’s Disease, Crohn’s Disease does NOT have me!”
-Colleen Lynn

No comments:

Post a Comment